I am always excited about creating an original recipe. There is something invigorating when you can view a product and from that manipulate it into any form imaginational.
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life’s realities. ~Theodore Geisel
Today I am making something special for a friend of mine’s just because he has been a supportive pahtnah (Partner, Padna) Trini for “homeboy” . True friends are very hard to come by so I like the few that I have to know how much I care by giving those tokens of appreciation. Jossimar like most people loves his belly. Sometimes I think Trini men must have and extra stomach hidden somewhere because the ones around me are always eating or asking me to cook something or maybe that’s the benefit of having a friend who’s a foodie http://www.slashfood.com/2006/02/10/what-is-a-foodie-anyway/. Either way I have been racking my brain about what to make him, my two deciding factors are my budget and his taste buds. In that case, I have cassava, some pieces of chicken breast and butterfish, and some fruits. Since I know, he would prefer chicken and I have been itching to try my hand at cassava chips but then again this is Lunch so I need to go a step further with the chips.
Jossimar Special – Roasted Garlic and Parsley Cassava with a Coconut Cream Sauce
1lb of Cassava
4 cloves of garlic
3 sprigs of Parsley
1/2 tsp of salt
3 tsp of coconut milk powder
1. The coconut milk powder is added to water then placed on the stove. When the water is hot add the cassava (I find it easier to peel when its finished broiled, therefore I just wash it and place in the pot). Takes 15-20mins
Tip to check and make sure its cooked sufficently put a knife through it once it enters easily its ready.
2. Strain and place on plate to cool. When cooled put oil to hot on stove, cut cassava into medium slices and place in the oil. Your trying to get it a nice golden brown color.
3. Place on grease proof paper, when its cooled a little cut it in cubes
4. The garlic is grated, and the parsley minced, add the salt here (now I do not use much salt so depending on what I am making I add the salt after and not when broiling). It is then mixed in a bowl with the cassava. Dipped in the coconut sauce it taste delicious.
Chicken Breast Stuffed with Apples and Grapes
1 Wash the meat proper some people use vinegar/ flour/lime, I suggest you use whichever one your comfortable with or have handy. The chicken breast is cut in half so the pieces are too thick and it would be easier to wrap. Seasoned with salt and pepper, ( I love spices so I added 1/2 tsp of ginger and grated a little piece of nutmeg) let it marinate for 20-30mins.
2. The cut grapes and apples into cubes, place on the chicken breast. I did not have toothpicks to secure it so I washed weave thread in water and vinegar and used that to wrap the chicken breast.
3. Put the pot on the fire with some oil. Place breast in the oil once its hot, let it cook a little on both side. Then place barbecue sauce (my own recipe) on it and put in the oven to bake for 15-20mins. Make sure and remove the string before serving else you will never get over the shame lol.
I am sure he is going to love the final product as much as I do 🙂 , now don’t you wish you had a foodie for as friend.